Going Paperless With Your Mobile Workforce
It has been estimated that U.S. employers spend $460 billion in salaries to manage paper-based information (source).
It is one thing to think about “going paperless” in terms of your in-office staff; such as implementing a cloud-hosted CRM, instead of filing cabinets full of customer folders.
But, what about your mobile workforce, who work ‘on the go’ and not in front of a laptop or computer…this is the team I want to talk about in this article.
In organizations with field teams we often see:
- Reps taking notes by hand, which are carried back to the office to be typed into a file or application.
- Dispatch printing out a list of schedules at the beginning of the day and passing them to each tech in the morning.
- Sales reps unable to view customer information on-the-go, and printing out key files before their meetings, for reference.
- Customer orders taken by hand, then retyped or scanned by someone back at the office.
- Sales reps traveling with boxes of brochures and flyers, that might even be outdated, and leaving them with prospects who want more info.
Do any of these sound familiar?
The reality is, without the right technology in their hands – your field team can’t possibly “go paperless”. How could they ever get their job done?
Fortunately, the right technology is available to go paperless…even if you have a mobile workforce.
First – Your CRM
If you have implemented, or are planning to implement, any kind of customer management system – choose one that includes a mobile app.
Many of the most widely used CRM solutions, such as SAP and Salesforce, have a mobile app. The app will be invaluable to your outside sales team who can use it to view and update customer information, add a new lead on the spot and more.
Off-the-Shelf, Pre-Built Mobile Apps
Depending on how specialized your needs, you may find a pre-built mobile app in the app store that will get the job done.
There are fleet management and scheduling apps available for license, or a yearly fee, that might be the right fit for your team.
Applications such as SAP or Salesforce, as mentioned above, are “pre-built”. The idea is that where a pre-built app may lack features or customization – they make up for it in a reduced cost of ownership.
Custom Mobile Apps
Then there are times when your organization needs a specific solution, done to your specifications. A generic, one-size-fits-all mobile app will not meet your needs.
A custom mobile app is created with your organization’s goals and vision in mind. It can be designed to get key tasks done quickly, accurately, and without making your team navigate generic software that may not be intuitive or efficient to use.
How a Custom Mobile App Can Help Your Field Teams Go Paperless
- Use GPS in their phone to automatically log when your rep visits a site.
- Your rep fills out a form after every site visit and the details are automatically and instantly upload to your corporate servers.
- Sales reps use your company-branded mobile app to show product demos and videos.
- Techs quickly and easily create/update and submit work orders from their tablet.
- Reps use your mobile app to place customer orders – reducing errors and delays caused by hand-written orders needing to be typed up back at the office.
- Techs use the mobile app to see their next appointment, directions, details and more.
Interested in Going Paperless?
With a little information about your current situation we can explore personalized strategies that will solve your challenges, and explain how we’ve helped other clients like you. Please request a no-obligation call with our team today.
We Develop Custom Business Apps
Looking for a team to develop your mobile app?